The NDIS provides support for people with a permanent and significant disability, their families and carers. It ensures they get the right care and support they need based on their individual needs and aspirations. NDIS support includes helping individuals achieve goals in many aspects of their life, including independence, involvement in their community, education, employment and health and wellbeing.
NDIS offers more choice and control over how, when and where supports are provided. People currently receiving support through the Victorian Government will move to the NDIS at different times depending on where they live and the type of support they receive.
The NDIS is currently being rolled out across a series of launch locations. It will be rolled out nationally from 2016, aiming for all of Australia to be operating under the NDIS by the end of 2019. IDV Inc is fortunate to be included in the upcoming roll-out and will be providing services under the NDIS from 1 July 2016.
Who can access NDIS?
NDIS participants need to meet the following requirements:
- have a permanent and significant disability that affects your ability to take part in everyday activities.
- be aged less than 65 when you first access the scheme.
- be an Australian citizen, a permanent resident or a New Zealand citizen who holds a Protected Special Category Visa.
- live in a trial site location (during the trial).
What can I do to prepare?
To start you on the planning process, the National Disability Insurance Agency (NDIA) has prepared a Planning Workbook. This can be found on the NDIS website: www.ndis.gov.au/participants/planning-process. The NDIA recommends completing as much of the Planning Workbook as possible. The Planning Workbook is a very useful tool to identify your goals, what supports you are currently getting (funded, mainstream and informal supports), and what you need to reach your goals. This workbook is available for both child and adult participants.
Helpful NDIS resources
- Visit NDIS website and watch videos and stories about NDIS.
- Use the NDIS Access Checklist to find if you are eligible to receive assistance from the NDIS.
- An NDIS wellbeing guide for parent and carers raising children, teenagers and young adults living with a disability.
- Information about the NDIS for families and carers.
- Information about the NDIS roll-out across Victoria.
- View the NDIS Planning Workbook designed to help identify needs, goals and supports (available in various languages)
- Subscribe for NDIS updates on the NDIS website
Please direct enquiries about the NDIS to IDV’s Operations Manager, Chika Hogan on (03) 9459 8175, or email email@example.com